Friday, January 29, 2010

Taquitos!!

I love taquitos and I can eat them every day. So I found an easy recipe that I can make myself and they turned out really good. You should make them. We used flour and corn tortillas but I personally like the corn tortillas the best!

CHICKEN TAQUITOS
1 lb. chicken breast
1/2 onion
1 tsp. garlic (minced)
1 c. finely chopped tomatoes
6 tbsp. chicken broth
2 tsp. flour
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. salt
Flour tortillas
Shredded lettuce
Cheese
1/2 pkg. taco seasoning
Cut chicken breast in narrow strips. Cook chicken in a little water. Remove excess water. Saute onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon oil 1 or 2 minutes. Stir in chicken, tomatoes, chicken broth, flour, cumin, oregano, chili powder and salt. Add 1/2 package taco seasoning. Mix well. Simmer 3-5 minutes.

Spoon 2 tablespoons of chicken mixture down center. Top with grated cheese of your choice. Fold up little sides and roll, secure with toothpicks. Fry in heavy skillet with oil until golden. Drain on paper towel, keep warm in oven.

I ended up not putting the taco seasoning because I tasted it and didn't think it needed it. Also I put diced red bell peppers in mine and I only put half of the chili powder because I didn't want them very spicy, and I just shredded the chicken because it was easier. I had to microwave the corn tortillas in a damp paper towel for about 30 seconds to make them soft enough to roll. We bought a fryer a while ago and we love it, so I am always looking for new recipes to use our fryer. We actually cooked them for like 3 min and they came out a little too crispy, so only leave them in for about a min or so. You could just fry them in a pan with oil but make sure the oil stays around 350 or else you will burn them, and if it isn't hot enough they will just get soggy. But trust me you will love them!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"Where are the mini taquitos???"