Wednesday, October 1, 2008

POTATOES!

I have been really busy for the past two weeks, and I was staying in Blackfoot most of the time for potato harvest, so I haven't posted in a long time. Here are some exciting pictures of where I was working. Aaron and Cambria came one day and brought me and Jaymee lunch. Cambria didn't like being inside very much because she said it was too noisy, she was a little scared. When all the different machines are on and people are moving around and the fork lift is pushing around huge totes full of potatoes it can be really loud. I didn't finish out this week because they weren't going to be busy enough, and it wasn't worth it to pay a babysitter, so I am done working now. Here she is playing outside, she had fun running in between the totes full of potatoes.
This is where the person on the fork lift puts the totes so that they can be dumped into a huge washer.

This is the washer where most of the dirt gets washed off of the potatoes.
Then they go up and someone picks out all the rocks, clumps of dirt, and weeds.
This is where people sort out the potatoes. (The scales in the back are where the people stand, I did that last year, but this year I picked rock and did gravity)This is where I worked most of the day. On the table there is a scale and we would weigh the potatoes, and then under the table is a big bin full of water, we would also weigh them in the water.
Cambria liked wearing a hat like Jaymee! Do you like my hair net?

3 comments:

Stacey said...

potato harvesting isn't as glamorous as I imagined it would be:) brody said he wanted a hat like Cambria. What are you going to dress her up as this year for Halloween? Suggestion; tights a tutu, a homemade crown, and a homemade star with glitter:)

The Morgans said...

I was thinking about that, She has that little princess tu tu that I got at the Quilted Bear. I was thinking about Peter Pan Wendy and Tinker Bell, but I don't think Aaron wants to wear tights! I don't know why you would think it was glamorous. Everything is covered in dirt. Since I did gravity I would always be soaked with water. It was not fun last year because it snowed during harvest and the place has no heater or air conditioner. I didn't mind working there, they paid $10 an hour! Last year we had a few days where we worked from 8 in the morning until midnight or 1.

Stacey said...

well I was being sarcastic about the glamorous part. And if you get Aaron to wear tights you better take tons of pictures and post them on your blog.